Friday, October 4, 2013

Slow Cooker Beef & Broccoli



We made it to the weekend my friends! I couldn't be happier about this. Even though this week went pretty fast for me, I'm still so glad that the weekend is finally here! I know I make a pretty big deal about the weekends, but isn't that what we all work for? We are going to dinner tonight to celebrate my mom's birthday. Other than that, I have no definite plans. I have a lot of de-cluttering/organizing that I would like to do around the house, but nothing planned other than that.

I have had a request from Leila to post this one soon. So here you go...

When I was getting ready to come back to work, I was trying to find some slow cooker recipes that would make good freezer meals, too. I found this one and thought that it would be pretty good. I prepped all of the meat and threw it in a bag. When I was ready to cook it, I pulled the meat out of the freezer and put it in the slow cooker, then I mixed up the sauce the night before, poured it over the beef, added it to the slow cooker and then put it in the fridge overnight. I like that this helps to marinate the meat a little bit, too. I pulled it out of the fridge at lunch and let it cook all afternoon. Then I finished it up after I got home. It was really pretty easy and I will definitely make this one again. I might try to make the sauce ahead of time and freeze it with the meat, just to save a little more time. Here's the recipe:


SLOW COOKER BEEF & BROCCOLI
adapted from Emily Bites
Points+: 8
Servings: 4

1 lb uncooked lean & trimmed boneless top round roast of beef, sliced thin and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup fat free beef broth
½ cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 t sesame oil )
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 T cornstarch
2 cups frozen broccoli florets/pieces, unthawed


Combine the broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and garlic in your slow cooker and stir together to combine. Add the uncooked beef pieces and mix until the beef is covered by the liquid.

Cover slow cooker and cooke on low for 4 - 6 hours, until the beef is cooked through.

Remove 4 tablespoons of the liquid from your slow cooker to a bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Once combined, add the cornstarch mixture back into the slow cooker and mix in thoroughly. Add the frozen broccoli and stir in. Re-cover the slow cooker and cook on low for another half hour.

I rounded out our meal with some rice, but you can use whatever you would like. Enjoy!

I hope you all have a great weekend! Find me on Instagram to keep up with our shenanigans.

So long for today...

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, it sounds so delicious! I WILL be making this! :)

    Happy Weekend, good luck with all the organizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting :) I'm definitely adding it to my meal rotation soon.
    Sidenote, when did you start blogging for Parent Savers? I was linking my page to my parent savers page and saw you on there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :-) I actually posted on PreggiePals once while I was pregnant after reading about it from you! Haha! Then after I had him, I contacted Sunny about doing Parent Savers. I love that group!

      Delete