Monday, August 13, 2012

Minnesota Wild Rice Soup


Today was the last day of my week. It was also the last day of the challenge that I gave myself. Last week, I decided to give myself a reward to stay on-plan this week. Here was the challenge: If I stuck to eating only my daily points, plus and activity points that I earned, I was going to buy myself a Sparkly Soul headband. Since I can't remember the last time I had a week where I didn't dip into most if not all of my weekly points, I definitely had my work cut out for me. I'm so excited to report that I have met this challenge with flying colors. I can't wait to order my new headband tomorrow. Follow me on Facebook to find out more about these headbands and what color I choose.

Over the weekend, I made a soup out of the cookbook that my June Foodie Pen Pal sent me. She had sent me some wild rice in the package, too and told me about a recipe in the cookbook to use it in. I finally got the chance to make it and I have to say that I really liked it. TC did, too. But he likes pretty much anything that has any pork product in it. Ha! Here's the recipe:

MINNESOTA WILD RICE SOUP
adapted from Always Supurb Cookbook by Junior Leagues of Minneapolis & St. Paul
Servings: 8 - 10
Points+: 7


1/2 c. light butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. celery, finely chopped
1/2 c. carrots, finely chopped
8 oz. portabella mushroms, chopped
1/2 c. flour
6 c. low sodium, fat-free chicken broth
3 c. cooked wild rice
1 c. cooked ham, chopped
2 c. fat-free half-and-half
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. ground pepper

Heat the butter in a stockpot until melted. Add the onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms. Saute until the onion is tender; do not brown. Add the flour; Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Whish in the chicken broth gradually. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat.

Add the wild rice, ham and half-and-half to the vegetable mixture and mix well. Stir in the salt and pepper. Adjust the seasonings as desired.

Cook the soup until of the desired temperature. Ladle soups into bowls. Garnish with chopped parsley or chives.


EXERCISE:
On Monday evenings, since it's the day before my weigh-in, I either take a day of rest or I do some kind of light workout. Tonight, I decided to do a light workout and I did the Wii Fit Plus. This is a game I used to play a good bit for a while, but then stopped when I started with my more intense workouts. Tonight, I decided to give it a try since it's a fun way to get in some activity. I didn't do a lot, just 30 minutes, but I still earned myself one activity point. That's good enough for a Monday.

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment